Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Good Man

"It is liberating to realize that my ideas, loves, and joys are neither programmed nor demanded by some god, but spring freely from my heart for however long it beats"

I'm not big on quotes or cliches, but when I ran across this saying on the Freedom From Religion facebook page I instantly felt a connection to the meaning behind the words. As an atheist, I take pride in knowing that my morals, loves, and joys are self derived. I've worked and labored for the last 8+ years to establish myself, not only as an adult, but as an educated and good man. A family man. Is this possible without religion? Without God? Many people would say 'No'. Many people believe that in order to live a moral and good life you need the hand of God to guide you and the Bible to educate you on what to do and what not to do.



Well, I hate to say it, but I know that killing is wrong without using the Bible as a reference. Adultery - Bad! Kindness - Good! We learn these concepts from childhood, from our families, our friends, and from our human ability to reason and THINK. We would know these things with or without a book.

As I stated earlier, I take pride in knowing that my personal moral code is self derived, based on current social understandings, and enforced out of desire and not the threat of eternal damnation. Why do people need an impending punishment in order to do good. Isn't doing good for goodness sake enough? Isn't that what Santa Clause told us all along!

I can't explain how liberating it is to cast aside the pre-determined religious morals and embrace your own moral code. Why is it that people can pick and choose passages from the Bible, embracing some and ignoring others, but can't listen to their own voice of reason. Should children that are abused honor their Mother and Father? Of course not! Should we discriminate against other humans based on their gender, race, or sexuality because we have an old book that supports us. No! We should treat everyone equally and with kindness - my 5 year old knows that. It is a simple lesson, one that would make this world a better place. A view that was shared by none other than Jesus (A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (NIV, John 13:34-35)) Notice it says "LOVE ONE ANOTHER"... there are no conditions or requirements of this love. It doesn't say "LOVE ONE ANOTHER... EXCEPT THE GAYS, YOU SHOULD HATE THEM!"

You are good enough to make your own choices, judgements, and morals even if they differ from previous circumstances. You ARE good enough! Don't let a text or verse determine how you live your life / treat others. If you know something is wrong, stand up for it. It will change your life.

So now, I will 'stand up' and BLOG!

No comments:

Post a Comment